Friday - June 05, 2015

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Shrubs
Title: Foundation Plants for Leander, TX

QUESTION:

Looking for suggestions for a narrow bed 2-3 ft. wide, 32 ft. long against my house. Full evening sun with morning shade. Considering Salvia greggii with some type of companion plants/grasses but unsure. Don't mind having something that needs to be trimmed to fit space needs. Prefer something evergreen to cover the foundation.

ANSWER:

Either Gulf Muhly, Muhlenbergia capillaris, or Pine Muhly, Muhlenbergia dubia, would be good choices for grasses to plant in that bed.  Dwarf yaupon, Ilex vomitoria, or one of the dwarf cultivars of Cenizo, Leucophyllum frutescens will work if you prefer to use shrubs.  All of these plants can be found at many of the locally-owned nurseries in your area.  Once established they will all provide yearround coverage of your foundation if spaced adequately.