Wednesday - April 15, 2015

From: Glen Rose, TX
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: Native Wildflowers and Grasses for Texas Acreage

QUESTION:

I recently purchased about 36 acres in Somervell County, Texas where cedar had been bulldozed and burned (many large spots). What would be the best native flowers or grasses to replant in that area? Land is recreational and not for grazing or farming. We would need something drought resistant.

ANSWER:

The best place to start your research is on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Database.  This will give you a large group of plants to start your list. Put in the following search criteria: State = Texas, habit = grass & grass-like, duration = perennial, light requirement = full sun, soil moisture = dry. This search will reveal over 60 native plants.  Next do the same search using habit = herb. Now there are an additional 197 native plants to consider.

To narrow down the large list to native plants that grow well in your region, contact the Prairie Rose Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas. They hold regular meetings the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm at the Somervell County Citizens Center, 209 SW Barnard in Glen Rose.

Another option is to contact the Somervell County Master Gardeners and ask to be connected with a member that grows native plants. Zack Davis is the Extension Agent for Somvervell County. ·  Zach Davis, CEA Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Service 1405 Texas Drive, Glen Rose, TX 76043 email, zadavis@ag.tamu.edu

Phone: 254-897-2809

Hedgehog pricklypoppy
Argemone squarrosa

Antelope horns
Asclepias asperula

Butterflyweed

Winecup
Callirhoe involucrata

Lindheimer's paintbrush
Castilleja purpurea var. lindheimeri

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Engelmann's daisy
Engelmannia peristenia

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Texas liatris
Liatris punctata var. mucronata

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum

Lindheimer's muhly
Muhlenbergia lindheimeri