Tuesday - February 24, 2015

From: Plantersville, TX
Title:

QUESTION:

I have an Ehretia anacua in the way of possible development of a new building and I have a few questions.\r\nWhat is the typical life span of that tree and are the roots sensitive to compaction and disturbance if I placed a driveway within a few feet of the trunk.

ANSWER:

I want to start with a little tutorial about trees and tree roots. The links below will let you know about compaction and impervious cover under the canopy of  your Anacua.

Florida plants on line 

Colorado State University  

Anacua Ehretia anacua (Anacua) is  a popular ornamental tree in Texas growing to 36 -72 feet tall. There are some who claim it is their favorite tree . A fine specimen can be found growing at the Bexar County Courthouse in San Antonio, TX.
Anacua is rated as a slow-grower which means about 12 inches per year depending on growing conditions. (see previous answer). A tree could live for 36 years to reach its mature height. Probably less if there is a driveway around its trunk.

Anacua
Ehretia anacua

Anacua
Ehretia anacua