Saturday - January 31, 2015

From: Waco, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shade Tolerant, Shrubs
Title: Small evergreen shrubs for part shade in Texas

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Pants, I'm, for some reason, at odds with myself about a shrub decision. I have need about 8 ft of hedge-like evergreen shrub(s) that I can maintain around 4ft to go under a window. It will get some morning sun (1-2 hours) and the dappled sun (3 hours or so) when my red oak has leaves on it. It gets 4-5 hours of sun when the oak does not have leaves on it. The shrubs will live in black clay soil that I have made well draining, and they will be sandwiched between two American Beautyberries. It is the size-shade combination that has me stumped. For example, everything I can think of are understory shrub-trees like evergreen sumac, but I don't know if I can maintain it at the 4ft size. Your wise counsel will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER:

My suggestions for you include Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle) and Mahonia trifoliolata (Agarita).  All of these species grow well in partial shade and are amenable to pruning to maintain a desired height of four feet.  Ideally, they should be pruned at least a couple of times a year to preserve a nice appearance.  If not pruned until they reach a height of six or seven feet the pruned plants might look rather ragged because of gaps in leaf cover.  Of the three plants I suggest, Wax myrtle is the fastest grower and Agarita the slowest.

These species should be available at one of your local plant nurseries.

Yaupon

Wax myrtle

Agarita
Mahonia trifoliolata