Sunday - November 16, 2014

From: College Station, TX
Topic: Septic Systems, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Using bamboo as a filter for odoras from a wastewater treatmen plant in College Station, TX

QUESTION:

My wastewater treatment plant is considering planting bamboo to create a filter for odors between it and the neighborhood. Are there any native plant alternatives that would function as well (if not better)?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants can’t think of any features that bamboo has, or any other plant for that matter, that would enable it to filter out odors in the air from a sewage treatment plant.
This link describes the process of Wastewater Treatment in College Station.

Bamboo is being used in Europe to treat wastewater because it has an extensive root system that can absorb contaminants in the water. Here are a couple of links that describe the process.

rwlwater.com 

cordiseuropa.eu 

Perhaps your facility in College Station may have something of this nature in mind.