Wednesday - October 29, 2014

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Plant ID in Arkansas

QUESTION:

Harrison, Ark I borrowed pix, hope they can be seen. Fast growing, 5' popped up in area- it screams abutilon to me, but the flower doesnt. Waited til Sept to bloom. Nowhere for pic. Green/ yellow tubular flowers hang downward, large leaf not quite heart shaped serrated edges, not angel trumpet, datura. Single woodyish straight stem. The flowers are where the stems divide.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has two native plant suggestions for your mystery plant:

Prenanthes alba (White rattlesnakeroot)  Here are more photos and information from Minnesota Wildflowers.  The USDA Plants Database distribution map shows it occurring in Carroll County and Marion County on either side of Boone County.

Prenanthes altissima (Tall rattlesnakeroot) Here are more photos and information from Illinois Wildflowers.  The USDA Plants Database distribution map shows it occurring in three counties adjacent to Boone County (Carroll, Newton and Marion).

If neither of these is your mystery plant, please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.

White rattlesnakeroot
Prenanthes alba

White rattlesnakeroot
Prenanthes alba

Tall rattlesnakeroot
Prenanthes altissima

Tall rattlesnakeroot
Prenanthes altissima