Sunday - August 10, 2014

From: Henderson, NV
Topic: Plant Identification, Vines
Title: Flowering vine with yellow flowers in Nevada

A flowering vine started growing in our Henderson back yard about 2 months ago. It has variegated green leaves & yellow flowers. We decided not to pull it out & now it's spreading. I've looked on various websites but can't determine if it's a weed. Can you help?

Our focus and expertise are with plants native to North America.  Searching our Native Plant Database in a COMBINATION SEARCH selecting "Nevada" from the Select State or Province option and "Vine" from Habit (general appearance), I could find no natives vines with variegated leaves and there were only 4 species of vines native to Nevada with yellow flowers.  (You can try this search yourself.)  I suspect your vine is an escaped cultivar from someone else's garden.  If you have photos (or can take them), please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos of plants for identification.