Monday - May 07, 2012

From: Perryton, TX
Title: Vines for Texas Panhandle
Answered by: Anne Ruggles

QUESTION:

I need a fast-growing vine for our pergola that does not attract bees or wasps. It will be in full sun in the panhandle of Texas--two hours north of Amarillo.

ANSWER:

Start out at the Wildflower Center’s web site. Click on the “Exploring Plants” tab and scroll down to the “Recommended Species” link. Click on this link, scroll down to “Just for Texans,” link and click on the hot link for the “High Plains” ecoregion. This will take you to a page that has a list of native plants with photos, and links to descriptions that are native to the Texas High Plains. If you go to the printer friendly species list you can search for vines.

Plants that are attractive to hummingbirds will be less likely to attract bees or wasps (which most often use olfactory cues to find food plants) as hummingbird food plants tend to depend on visual cues to advertise for pollinators rather than olfactory cues.

Some plants to consider include:

Ampelopsis cordata (Heart-leaf ampelopsis, Heartleaf peppervine)   

Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) 

Clematis drummondii (Old Man’s Beard) You can see images here.

Funastrum cynanchoides  (Hartweg's twinevine, Vine milkweed)   

Humulus lupulus (Native Hops)  You can go here to see images.

Lonicera albiflora (Western White Honeysuckle)

Lonicera sempervirens   (Coral honeysuckle, Trumpet honeysuckle, Woodbine)  

Passiflora incarnata (Purple Passionflower)

Vitis arizonica (Canyon grape, Arizona grape)  You can find images here.

Canyon’s Edge Plants in Canyon, TX is a source of plants native to the Panhandle. They have compiled a list of native vines that you may find helpful. If you contact them they may be able to give you guidance that is more specific to your growing conditions.

You can find other suppliers in your area by going to the Wildflower Center website,  clicking on the “Explore Plants” tab,  and selecting “suppliers” on the drop-down menu.

Heartleaf peppervine
Ampelopsis cordata

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Fringed twinevine
Funastrum cynanchoides ssp. cynanchoides

Western white honeysuckle
Lonicera albiflora

Western white honeysuckle
Lonicera albiflora

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Maypop
Passiflora incarnata