En Espa—ol

Saturday - October 26, 2013

From: Wildwood, MO
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Trees
Title: Plants Toxic to Horses

I want to put planters on the front of my horse barn, which is also in the front field, so the horses could eat what is in it if they want to. I am looking to put a miniature pine tree in the planter. What do you suggest that's not poisonous to horses?

Mr. Smarty Plants found three good lists of plants on the web that you should look at to get started on preparing your list of plants that are non-toxic to your horses. Take a look at  Toxic Trees: Keep Your Horses Safe at Pasture by Joanne Meszoly on the Equisearch Website, the Wikipedia article on Plants Poisonous to Equines and the ASPCA list of Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants for Horses.  Ponderosa pines (Pinus ponderosa) is listed as a poisonous plant to horses on the ASPCA resource, but they do have an extensive list of plants that are non-toxic including Canada hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) as an alternative conifer for your planter.

Eastern hemlock
Tsuga canadensis

Eastern hemlock
Tsuga canadensis