En EspaÑol

Monday - June 10, 2013

From: Pittsburgh, PA
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Vines
Title: Non-floweriing vines not poisonous to dogs from Pittsburgh PA

QUESTION:

Are there any vines or crawlers (nothing that flowers) that are non poisonous to dogs? Everything I am finding is poisonous, I want to plant some vines up a chain link fence around a swimming pool.

ANSWER:

We had the same question yesterday from Madison WI. Please read it for information on poisonous plants. We will look at a similar list for Allegheny Co., PA, but we have to tell you there are no non-blooming vines. All vascular plants propagate themselves by first blooming and then producing seeds. It is necessary for the plant's survival. You can follow each plant link on our list to find out when they bloom, with size and color, and some may have more inconspicuous blooms than others, but they will all bloom. You can snip off blossoms and then you will have no seeds but they will spread by underground roots.

Vines for Pennsylvania:

Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper)

Clematis viorna (Vasevine)

Clematis virginiana (Devil's darning needles)

Ipomoea pes-caprae (Railroad vine)

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

You will also need to follow the links to each webpage to learn what their growing conditions are, particularly their sunlight requirements, as you did not mention that in your question,

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Vasevine
Clematis viorna

Devil's darning needles
Clematis virginiana

Railroad vine
Ipomoea pes-caprae

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia