Mr. Smarty Plants - Report on object glowing in tree in New Hampshire

Sunday - August 04, 2013

From: East Kingston, NH
Topic: Plant Identification, Vines
Title: Report on object glowing in tree in New Hampshire

QUESTION:

Hello again Mr Smartpants. I commented about a purple glow coming from a tree in previous comments. Since then they have multiplied and are spreading to different trees. We believe we may have it narrowed down to a whitish caterpillar. It itself is not glowing but the glow is all around it. The one was found in my maple tree. We are still trying to discover the source. I am going to try to contact environmentalist in NH to see if we can get any answers.

ANSWER:

Thank you for letting us know.   How fascinating!   I will check with a couple of entomologist friends here in Texas to see if they know of insect larvae, other than the glowworms, that glow or leave a residue behind that might glow.

Note: For anyone reading this question and answer and wondering what it's all about, you can read the original question and answer here.