En EspaŅol

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.
Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
1 rating

Friday - May 31, 2013

From: Portland, OR
Region: Northwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Spreading Poison Oak to Clothes and Shoes
Answered by: Anne Van Nest

QUESTION:

I had a poison oak rash about 2 years ago and during that time I had to attend a wedding. At the wedding I wore a pair of dress shoes and a pair of cowboy boots. Can I wear these shoes again? Is there a way to rid the urushiol? I don't think I can wash these shoes/boots in the washing machine. I read somewhere that urushiol can stay around for 5 years. Would dry cleaning the dresses that I wore at the time make it okay to wear them again? I had poison oak rashes on both legs at the time and they might've touched the hem of the dresses. Your advice is much appreciated.

ANSWER:

You have raised some good questions that many suffers have wanted to know. How long does the nasty allergy inducing urushiol oil from poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac last? How is it transferred? Unfortunately there isn't a definitive answer about how long the oil is contagious - some say the oil is potent for months to even years later. 
The Cleveland Clinic has a good online article about dealing with urushiol from these poisonous plants on their website. Here is some of their information:

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. Urushiol triggers an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with the skin, resulting in an itchy rash that can appear within hours of exposure or three to five days later. A person can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects—such as gardening tools, camping equipment, and even a pet’s fur—that have come into contact with the sap of one of the poisonous plants.
Urushiol is found in all parts of the plants—including the leaves, stems, and roots—even when the plants are dead. Urushiol is absorbed quickly into the skin. It also can be inhaled if the poison plants are burned. The smoke might expose not only the skin to the chemical but also the nasal passages, throat, and lungs. Inhaled urushiol can cause a very serious allergic reaction. Urushiol is easily transferred from one object to another, so clothing or tools that touch the plants, or pets that rub against them, can pick up the plant oil and pass it to a person.

Now to answer your question, unless you wore your wedding boots/shoes and dress into the wilds and connected with more poison oak or didn't wash before you put them on, they are most likely not contaminated with urushiol. It is only the clothing and shoes that you wore during the initial exposure that you should be concerned about decontaminating. Urushiol is fairly quickly absorbed into the skin and doesn't transfer.

The Mayo clinic has some advice about cleaning contaminated skin and objects. They also indicate that urushiol can remain potent for years on inanimate objects. Their advice: 
Wash your skin
Gently washing off the harmful resin from your skin, using any type of soap, within five to 10 minutes after exposure may help avert a reaction. After an hour or so, however, the urushiol has usually penetrated the skin, and washing won't necessarily prevent a reaction, but it may help reduce its severity. Be sure to wash under your fingernails too.
Clean contaminated objects
Wearing long pants, socks, shoes and gloves will help protect your skin, but be sure to wash your clothing promptly with detergent — ideally in a washing machine — if you think you've come into contact with poison ivy. Handle contaminated clothes carefully so that you don't transfer the urushiol to furniture, rugs or appliances.
In addition, wash any other contaminated items — such as outdoor gear, garden tools, jewelry, shoes and even shoelaces — as soon as possible. Urushiol can remain potent for years. So if you put away a contaminated jacket without washing it and take it out a year later, the oil on the jacket may still cause a reaction.

Below are links to the plant culprits if you would like to find out more information about these allergy inducing pests.

Pacific poison oak

Atlantic poison oak

Eastern poison ivy

Poison sumac

 

From the Image Gallery


Atlantic poison oak
Toxicodendron pubescens

Eastern poison ivy
Toxicodendron radicans

Eastern poison ivy
Toxicodendron radicans ssp. radicans

Eastern poison ivy
Toxicodendron radicans ssp. verrucosum

Eastern poison ivy
Toxicodendron radicans

Poison sumac
Toxicodendron vernix

Poison sumac
Toxicodendron vernix

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Is hopseed bush poisonous to horses in San Diego
October 26, 2009 - I need to plant a hedge to block unwanted neighbors and shield the horse corral from the house. I love the hopseed bush for its growing habits and color, especially the purple hopseed. I need to know ...
view the full question and answer

Sturdiness of non- native poisonous oleanders
August 16, 2011 - We've seen a dozen different types of non-native plants in our yard perish in last winter's brutal freezes and this summer's record drought..which is good..except for the Oleanders, which nature ca...
view the full question and answer

Injury while pulling weeds in Chandler TX
November 18, 2009 - I stabbed my self this last weekend when pulling roots from a bed so i'm not sure what it was. At the time it was a sharp pain so I pulled off my glove to look at it,barely scratched the skin so on I...
view the full question and answer

Hedgerow plants non-toxic to horses
April 07, 2012 - What would be a good, fast growing, hedgerow plant that is NON-POISONOUS TO HORSES? Thank you.
view the full question and answer

Plant identification for shrub in Florida
September 03, 2011 - On our street we have ornamental shrub planted in the median that has small waxy green leaves, produces small fragrant white flowers, and red berries with white pulp and small seeds on the inside. Th...
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP
© 2014 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center