Mr. Smarty Plants - Pruning practices from Austin

Thursday - May 16, 2013

Topic: Non-Natives, Pruning, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Pruning practices from Austin

QUESTION:

I need to do some pruning in my front beds and I know nothing about plants. From what I have been able to identify I have bicolor irises, plumbago, Japanese Aralia. I don't even know where to begin on trimming these back. Any tips?

ANSWER:

Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question that both explains about our not having information on non-native plants and has a care suggestion for Dietes bicolor, also known as African iris or Bicolor iris, native to South Africa.

From Floridata, here is an article about Plumbago auriculata, also native to South Africa. This article has some information on care for the plant.

From SF Gate Home Guide How to Cut Back Japanese aralia. This plant is native to Japan and South Korea.

Since Mr. Smarty Plants lives in Austin, too, we would like for you to consider beginning to switch to plants native to Central Texas. We suggest you read our How-To Articles Using Native Plants  and A Guide To Native Plant Gardening.