En EspaÑol

Friday - April 26, 2013

From: The Woodlands, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Pests, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Dog-proof grass from The Woodlands TX

QUESTION:

I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate female dogs urine. Zoysia was suggested but I am concerned about it being invasive. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Zoysia is a warm-season grass native to China and Japan which can grow in some shade but does not always perform well there. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants are being grown; in your case, Montgomery County, TX. Here is an article from eHow Home on Problems with Zoysia Grass and a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on the same subject.

Since we are therefore not experts on Zoysia grass, we will instead address your question in terms of grasses and/or plants in general. Not being a dog owner, this particular Smarty Plants Team member will have to go back to the Internet. From Texas A & M Horticulture Aggie Archives "Dog-On It" Lawn Problems. Our take on this article is that the dog needs a new bathroom. Again, out of Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise.