Thursday - October 25, 2012

Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Vines
Title: Non-native, invasive Asiatic Jasmine from Austin

Is Trachelospermum asiaticum considered a native texas plant? Is there an example growing at the Center that can be viewed?

Nope. The "asiaticum" in the name should tip you off. Furthermore, it is extremely invasive and can completely take over a garden area, almost impossible to eradicate. We suggest you read this Dave's Garden forum on this plant, particularly the negative comments. We hope that you would never, ever be able to view it in the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Trachelospermum asiaticum (Asiatic Jasmine) is native to southern and eastern Asia.