Mr. Smarty Plants - Possible gourd vine growing in backyard in Camden, TN.

Tuesday - July 17, 2012

From: Camden, TN
Title: Possible gourd vine growing in backyard in Camden, TN.

QUESTION:

I have a long green vine growing in my backyard. It's got green bulbs the size of kiwi on it and they're filled with white seeds. I would appreciate it if you guys could tell me what it is! Thanks!

ANSWER:

It is hard to identify a plant with just a description, even if it is a good one. The clues that you gave, green vine with round fruit filled with white seeds, makes Mr. Smarty Plants think that you may have a gourd of some type.

You need someone knowledgeable to take a look at your plant, and I have two suggestions for that someone. The first is to contact the folks at Benton County Office office of UT Extension to see if they could do this. The second suggestion is to get in touch with the Tennessee Volunteer Gourd Society . From their website, they seem like friendly and helpful prople.