En EspaÑol

Saturday - June 23, 2012

From: Kerrville, TX
Title: Will Pavonia lasiopetala grow in Oklahoma from Kerrville Tx

How successfully could I grow Pavonia lasiopetala in central Oklahoma? My research shows that it is not native to Oklahoma.

We sense that, as your question came from Kerrville TX that you are preparing to move to Oklahoma and want to take some of your plants with you. We don't blame you, Pavonia lasiopetala (Rock rose) are lovely, and are growing and blooming profusely in the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. It appears that in Kerrville, you are in nearly perfect conditions for this member of the Mallow family.

Native Distribution: In TX, from Edwards Plateau through Rio Grande Plains to adjacent Mex.
Native Habitat: Dry, rocky woods and slopes. Pastures, Savannahs, Ditches, Ravines, Depressions Open woodlands.

You are correct; this USDA Plant Profile shows it native only to Texas, and that is in Central Texas and the Big Bend area. Since we do not know what part of Oklahoma you are planning to plant these shrubs, we really have no way to predict how they will do. You know, plants don't necessarily grow where they are supposed to but where they can get away with it.

We would suggest that you Google for the Extension Office of the county in which you are hoping these will grow. Find out from them what the soils are in that area. That will probably determine whether or not it's worth a try. On this Dave's Garden website, Tulsa, Oklahoma is listed as a location where this plant is known to grow so, again, it's where are you planting the plant?

Rock rose
Pavonia lasiopetala

Rock rose
Pavonia lasiopetala

Rock rose
Pavonia lasiopetala