Thursday - July 04, 2013

From: Palm Springs, CA
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Privacy hedge for Palm Springs CA

Dear Mr. Smarty Pants I have a 6 foot block wall, and my house is elevated, and I need a privacy hedge or tree (even flowering) to create more privacy. I do not want to use Ficus as I hear they can damage the wall over time. What will grow well in Palm Springs, CA. Help Me! New Homeowner

Since our mission here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is "to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes", we wouldn't recommend you plant Ficus sp. since they are native to Asia and the Mediterranean area.  Here are some recommendations that are native to Riverside County, California:

Larrea tridentata (Creosote bush) is evergreen with yellow flowers and aromatic leaflets.   Here is more information from Las Pilitas Nursery (in Escondido and Santa Margarita) and from Theodore Payne Foundation in Sun Valley, CA.

Atriplex canescens (Chamiso) is a semi-evergreen shrub.  Here is more information from Theodore Payne Foundation and from Las Pilitas

Chilopsis linearis (Desert willow) is a deciduous large shrub or small tree with fragrant beautiful flowers.  Here is more information from Las Pilitas.

Rosa woodsii (Woods' rose) is decidious and not very thorny.   Here is more information about Rosa woodsii var. glabrata from Las Pilitas.

Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) is a gray-green shrub that appears evergreen, but actually loses its leaves but not all at once.   Here is more information from Las Pilitas and from Theodore Payne Foundation.

Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm) will eventually grow to 50 feet.  Here is more information from Las Pilitas and from Theodore Payne Foundation.

Fremontodendron californicum (California flannelbush) is evergreen.  Here is more information from Las Pilitas.

By the way, it's Mr Smarty PLANTS (not Pants)!

Creosote bush
Larrea tridentata

Atriplex canescens

Desert willow
Chilopsis linearis

Desert willow
Chilopsis linearis

Woods' rose
Rosa woodsii

Simmondsia chinensis

California fan palm
Washingtonia filifera

California flannelbush
Fremontodendron californicum