Monday - June 18, 2012

From: Copperas Cove, TX
Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: Transplant shock in Chinkapin oak from Copperas Cove TX

QUESTION:

I have a newly planted chinkapin oak, appx 14' tall, in the Copperas Cove TX area. It has done great for the first two weeks. Now the leaves are yellowing (June) and beginning to dry up. I water it lightly appx every 3 days per instruction. It has a mulch well around it & is protected from the deer. Any suggestions on why this is happening and what I can do to make it happy?

ANSWER:

Your Quercus muehlenbergii (Chinkapin oak) is suffering from transplant shock. Because we get so many questions from gardeners who have planted a woody plant the wrong time of year, we are going to link you to some of them and save ourselves some time. Some of these have still more links you should read.

Hutto TX

Nevada TX

Houston TX

Austin TX

Chinkapin oak
Quercus muehlenbergii

Chinkapin oak
Quercus muehlenbergii