Monday - April 21, 2008

From: Cary, IL
Title: Water-loving evergreen for Chicago

Is there a water loving evergreen that will do well in the Chicago weather?

Mr. Smarty Plants isn't sure whether you are looking exclusively for evergreen trees, or just any evergreen plant. Also, we're a uncertain as to how wet "wet" is. So, here are a few native evergreen trees that are found in Illinois or neighboring states (Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin) that will grow in wet or moist soil.

The one that tolerates the wettest soil is Picea mariana (black spruce). Check here for a photo and more information.

Pinus strobus (eastern white pine), is native to Illinois will grow in poorly drained soils. Click here for another photo and more information.

Tsuga canadensis (eastern hemlock). Click here for a photo and more information.

Picea glauca (white spruce). Click here for a photo and more information.

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae). Clich here for a photo and further information.

There are several shrubs and sub-shrubs that are evergreen, native to Illinois or adjacent states and grow in moist soils:

Andromeda polifolia (bog rosemary)

Chamaedaphne calyculata (leatherleaf)

Epigaea repens (trailing arbutus)

Gaultheria procumbens (eastern teaberry)

Vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry)

Kalmia polifolia (bog laurel)

Ledum groenlandicum (bog Labrador tea)

Andromeda polifolia

Chamaedaphne calyculata

Epigaea repens

Gaultheria procumbens

Vaccinium macrocarpon

Kalmia polifolia

Ledum groenlandicum