Monday - June 18, 2012

From: Waco, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Plant ID at Wildflower Center from Waco TX

I was at the Center last weekend and no one was able to answer these two questions: 1. Where can I buy Silver Ponyfoot groundcover? 2. What is the name of the plant with coral blossoms in front of the Pine Muhly in the Native Texas bed just inside the Display Gardens on the left next to the limestone wall? I took a picture of the plant/location as the lady in the Visitors Center suggested, but I don't know how to send it to you.

The picture was a good idea but it doesn't help us. We are no longer set up to receive pictures as identification was taking up far too much time. However, Staff Super Gardener Julie Marcus says this is Hesperaloe parviflora (Red yucca).

The Dichondra argentea (Silver ponyfoot) was probably raised in our own Gardens for display, propagated in our Plant Nursery, as are most of the plants on display in the Center. Both plants are usually for sale in our semi-annual Plant Sales. Here is information on the next one, the Fall Plant Sale.

To find suppliers in your area, go to our National Supplier's Directory, type in your town and state or zip code in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and consultants in your general area. They all have contact information so you can determine if what you want is available before you start driving.

Red yucca
Hesperaloe parviflora

Red yucca
Hesperaloe parviflora

Red yucca
Hesperaloe parviflora

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea