Sunday - May 01, 2011

From: Sarahsville, OH
Title: Plant identification for West Virginia

QUESTION:

Looking for the name of a wild flower in West Virginia, small golden colored petals..resembles a daisy.

ANSWER:

You have just described one of many possible yellow daisy-like flowers growing in West Virginia.   You can try to find it by doing a search in our Native Plants Database.  The plant you describe resembling a daisy would be a member of the Family Asteraceae (Aster Family) so you should choose 'Asteraceae (Aster Family)' from Family under "Search native plant database:"  This will give you more than 1000 species.  You will then NARROW YOUR SEARCH by choosing 'West Virginia' under Select State or Provence and "yellow" and possibly "orange" under BLOOM COLOR.  This will narrow the list to around 500 species.   You can then look through those to try and find your plant.  You can also use any other of the applicable features to narrow the results still further.

Good luck!