Saturday - June 02, 2012

Topic: Plant Identification, Shrubs
Title: Picture in newspaper from Austin

Your gardening story for the Jan 21,2012 in the Austin American Statesman pictured a pale green bush with purple flowers, however the plant was not identified. Can you tell me what it is? Thanks

We have not seen the picture, but we are betting that it is Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo), because we have also seen them blooming all over town, in gardens and formal landscapes as well as in the open. According to legend, cenizo tends to bloom in conjunction with rainfall. If you haven't noticed it the last few years, it is because we haven't had rain. Follow the plant link to learn more about this really great shrub, which can bloom 12 months of the year, again, depending on rainfall.