Mr. Smarty Plants - Making cuttings from purple sage in Austin, TX.

Tuesday - May 15, 2012

From: Lago Vista, TX
Topic: Propagation, Shrubs
Title: Making cuttings from purple sage in Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

I would like to plant additional purple sage for landscaping. May I do this with cuttings from an existing adult plant? If so, how and when would be the best method? I live in Lago Vista, TX

ANSWER:

Our Native Plant Database contains five species of plants that have the name purple sage, but that only one that grows in Texas is Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo).

Its NPIN Profile page lists Propagation Material: Seeds , Semi-hardwood Cuttings of the current seasons growth.
 Mr. Smarty Plants will give you links to three resources that will explain what that means. They all tell you pretty much the same thing, but the clarity of explanation and illustrations vary from one to the other.

North Carolina State University

Washington State University Cooperative Extension

Virginia Cooperative Extension

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens