Sunday - April 22, 2012

Title: Identification of willow-like tree

Hi. My daughter is trying to identify a native tree that is like a "scrub" tree here in pastures in Austin, Texas (for a school project). It sort of looks like weeping willow, but most aren't very tall. Is there a way I can email a picture to you for you to see it? Thanks for your help.

Mr. Smarty Plants would love to be able to accept photographs for identification.   Unfortunately, we don't have enough staff or volunteers to do this anymore.  We were overwhelmed with photos and requests for identification. 

I think, however, the tree/shrub you are describing sounds like Baccharis neglecta (False willow).  It is very common in the Austin area.

If this doesn't appear to be it, please visit our Plant Identification page for links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos for identification.

False willow
Baccharis neglecta

False willow
Baccharis neglecta