En Espa—ol

Sunday - April 15, 2012

From: West Valley City, UT
Topic: Non-Natives, Propagation, Shrubs
Title: Non-native lilacs for Salt Lake City, UT

QUESTION:

Is the weather in Salt Lake City UT good enough to plant a lilac bush root? If not, how long should I wait?

ANSWER:

Syringa vulgaris (lilac) is native to southeastern Europe and eastern Asia and therefore out of the range of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, which is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they grow naturally. This USDA Plant Profile map shows lilac growing in the proximity of Salt Lake City. As far as when to plant, since it is not native and will not appear in our Native Plant Database, here is an article that should help you: Growing and Planting Lilac Bush Plants.