Monday - August 02, 2010

Title: Non-native lavendar to repel scorpions in Austin

We are having a problem with scorpions in our home. A lot of them. I have heard that lavender around the doorways and windowsills will keep them out. Is this true? If so..what form? Certain species, live plants, dried, oil? Thanks so much for your time.

This is a little out of our line of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Scorpions, obviously are fauna, not flora, and little beasties. Lavandula, lavender, is native to the Meditteranean area; however, it grows well in Central Texas, but it's not in our Native Plant Database.

Ever so often, we are asked for plants that repel something-deer, snakes, dogs, mosquitoes, and generally speaking, no plants will do a whole lot of good in that respect. We found one site from eHow on How to Repel Scorpions by Rena Sherwood, for a repellant for personal use on a camping trip. Mr. Smarty Plants takes no responsibility for the effectiveness of this mixture. And one more reference on scorpions and lavender, from French Letters Scorpions and Lavender

So, let's get serious. See this Texas Cooperative Extension, Bexar County, article on Watch Out for Scorpions in Summer!