Mr. Smarty Plants - When and how to prune lavender (Lavandula sp.)

Friday - March 20, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Pruning
Title: When and how to prune lavender (Lavandula sp.)

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants I have a Goodwin Creek Lavender plant that I planted last year. It did very well but my question is about pruining. It seems that there is some growth coming up now that it is spring. How do I prune it? Can I cut it back? How often should I prune it? Is there anything else that I should know? I also have a Providence Lavender plant that was grown in a pot last year. My questions would be the same for that plant. Thanks Amy

ANSWER:

Our expertise and focus here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  Lavender (Lavandula sp.) is native to the Mediterranean and, as such, is not really in our purview.  There are lots of websites, however, devoted to growing lavender. If you Google 'Lavandula pruning' and/or 'lavender pruning', you will find a wealth of references popping up.  For instance, here is some information about pruning English lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) from Missouri Botanical Gardens, from TheGardenHelper.com and from Lavender Enchantment.  There are many more.  You could also pose your question to one of the UBC Botanical Garden Forums.  There are no doubt other lavender gardeners who participate in the forums who could advise you.