Saturday - April 28, 2012

From: Sarasota, FL
Title: Non-monoculture turf grass for Florida from Sarasota FL

QUESTION:

I am looking for a non-monoculture turf grass suitable for the Florida climate. Will Habiturf work, or perhaps you have some other suggestions? Please advise.

ANSWER:

Here is our How-To Article on Native Lawns: Habiturf-The Ecological Lawn. You will note that on the top of the page is this statement: "NATIVE LAWNS: HABITURF™ A MULTI-SPECIES MIX FOR NORTH, WEST AND CENTRAL TEXAS"

I believe that answers your question on whether it would grow in Florida. That is actually the only seed mix we have on our website. Lawn grasses are always a difficulty, especially native ones. There is also the question of soils, sunlight, traffic tolerance, etc. We suggest you contact the University of Florida Extension Office for Sarasota County.