En Espa—ol

Friday - July 21, 2006

From: Temple, TX
Title: Grapes Grown from Seed
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

Can mustang grapes be grown from seed? If so, how is the best way and when is the best time to do it?

ANSWER:

Mustang grapes (Vitis mustangensis) should be quite easy to grow from seeds. Seeds should be removed from fully ripe fruit and cleaned of all adhering pulp. They should be dried for a day or two and then, according to Jill Nokes in How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest, they should be cold stratified "at 33-40 degrees F for about 12 weeks" before sowing in "rich loamy but well-drained soil."