Mr. Smarty Plants - When to prune Texas Coral Honeysuckle in Iredell, TX?

Tuesday - January 31, 2012

From: Iredell, TX
Topic: Pruning, Vines
Title: When to prune Texas Coral Honeysuckle in Iredell, TX?

QUESTION:

When can I prune Texas coral honeysuckle? It needs to be pruned so that it will fill out. Also, how much do I prune it? Thank you,

ANSWER:

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is a high-climbing, twining vine, 3-20 ft. long, with smooth, glossy, paired, semi-evergreen leaves and 2-4 flowered clusters of red, tubular blooms followed by bright-red berries. Bloom time; March, April, May, June.  

We often get questions about pruning, and they generally fall into three categories; why do I prune?  how do I prune? and when do I prune? This link to Aggie-horticulture has an extensive general article that provides good answers to all three categories.

This link to eHow.com has information specific to coral honeysuckle.

Pruning now will give you fewer blooms to enjoy, so you should wait until flowering is past.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens