En EspaÑol

Wednesday - November 02, 2011

From: Clarksville, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a plant that I would like to identify. It is a tall shrub/woody vine? (approx. 8-10 feet) that has very large thorns on its branches and stems. The stems remain green during winter. It loses its leaves (groups of 3, 1 to 1 ½” oval leaves together) over the winter. The thorns on this plant are approx. 1-2 inches long. The fruit is about 1” in diameter and looks like a small orange. It smells like citrus and is packed with seeds. Any ideas what this might be?

ANSWER:

This sounds like Poncirus trifoliata (Trifoliate orange).  It is a native of eastern Asia and considered invasive in many parts of the US.  Here are more photos and information.

If this is not your plant and you have photos, please visit our Plant Identification page where you will find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos for identification.