En EspaÑol

Monday - August 08, 2011

From: Pflugerville, TX
Topic: Pruning, Vines
Title: Pruning time for Lonicera sempervirens from Pflugerville TX

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, When does the Wildflower Center prune its Lonicera sempervirens?

ANSWER:

From our Head Gardener, Julie Marcus:

We really don’t prune ours, but you could lightly prune it to shape or train it just about any time when it is actively growing.   I probably wouldn’t prune it  past the middle of Oct. 15 so as to not encourage any new growth that might not have time to harden off before the first frost.   You can cut it back to the ground in late winter if you need to really get it under control.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens