A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Pflugerville, TX
Shaping of native hawthorns
I have three young hawthorns that were propagated from a nearby Blackland prairie stand. If I limb them up, will that encourage them to branch more near the top, or will it just ruin the form altoget...

Pflugerville, TX
Pruning dogwood in TX
I have a roughleaf dogwood (Cornus drummondii) sapling that I would like to keep at shrub height (~6 ft) rather than let it form a tree. Can I encourage this by cutting the main trunk, and if so, by ...

Pflugerville, TX
Pot on a pillar in a pond in Pflugerville
No question: Just a thanks to Barbara. You can't imagine how hard I laughed when I read the interpretation that I was going to plant Maximilians in a pot on a pedestal in the middle of a pond!!! S...

Pflugerville, TX
Using a stock tank as a planter for Maximilian sunflowers in Pflugerville TX
I am going to re-phrase a question I asked last week, because even though I tried to be very careful, I posed it in a way subject to misinterpretation and thus did not get an answer. So here goes: I...

Pflugerville, TX
Flashing barrier to Bermuda in tree bed
I'm building a 6-ft-diameter planting bed on a gentle slope on blackland clay, at the center of which I plan to install a cedar elm. I'm using the wedge-shaped stones from the home-improvement stor...

Pflugerville, TX
Maximilian sunflowers in a container in Pflugerville, TX
Can Maximilian sunflowers be grown in a container? How deep and wide would it need to be? Am considering growing them in a stock tank elevated on bricks, with drain holes.

Pflugerville, TX
Information about FanTex ash.
I live in central Texas and recenty planted Fan-tex ash trees thinking that they were similar to the native Texas ash. I am beginning to beleive that this tree has more in common with the Arizona ash...

Pflugerville, TX
Virginia creeper in trees
Can Virginia creeper be allowed to climb on trees--specifically Texas ash and live oak--or will it damage them if allowed to attach itself? We are thinking of using it as erosion control in a greenbe...

Pflugerville, TX
Collecting seeds of Anemone berlandieri, windflower
The recent rainy weather has produced a small colony of what I have identified from your web site as Anemone berlandieri Pritzel (Texas Anemone) in my backyard. Is there a way to harvest these seeds f...

Pflugerville, TX
Potential allelopathy of cultivar of Artemisia ludoviciana
I recently submitted a question regarding allelopathic potential of artemisia ludoviciana on rusty blackhaw viburnum, not specifying that I meant Vibernum rufidulum. Mr. SP interpreted my viburnum as...

Pflugerville, TX
Low growing, flowering evergreen plants for Pflugerville TX
I am wondering if you can suggest some low growing, flowering evergreen plants for my garden.

Pflugerville, TX
Top soil dressing for bermudagrass
Need to apply top soil dressing to bermudagrass. Can you suggest any type? This area is heavy clay soil and need to even out the lawn as well as feed the grass.

Pflugerville, TX
Grass at Wildflower Center with purple glow
What is the clumping grass along the WFC meadow trail that has a seedhead resembling bermudagrass and a glow similar to purple three-awn when backlit by the sun. I saw it yesterday (Oct. 2) and wonde...

Pflugerville, TX
Removing grass under oak trees in Pflugerville TX
I would like to use the newspaper-and-mulch method to smother grass under the canopy of live oaks, a bur oak, and a lacey oak so that I can plant natives that will thrive there. However, I'm concern...

Pflugerville, TX
Various holly hybrids or selections for Pflugerville TX
I love Savannah Hollies. I used them all the time in the Dallas area. Now that I have moved to Austin, I am wondering if I can plant them in this area. I have a soil pH of 7 and drainage is moderate. ...

Pflugerville, TX
Inland sea oats as backfrop for pigeon berry
I am thinking of using inland sea oats as a backdrop for pigeon berry (Rivina humilis) in a shady area along my foundation. Will this combination work, or will the sea oats outcompete the pigeon berr...

Pflugerville, TX
Is nimblewil (Muhlenbergia schreberi) a turf grass or a weed
Mr. SP, I have seen nimblewill (Muhlenbergia schreberi) both promoted as a turf grass and disparaged as an invasive pest. Do you have an opinion on this grass and whether/where/how it should be us...

Pflugerville, TX
Annual plants for weed control in Pflugerville,TX?
Can you suggest an annual or summer-dormant plant to mix with Dalea frutescens? The object is to discourage the spring-emerging weeds that precede the leafing out of the Dalea, so it should finish bl...

Pflugerville, TX
At what age does Possumhaw (Ilex decidua) begin to flower in Pflugerville, TX?
At what age does a female possumhaw (Ilex decidua) usually bloom and set fruit? Or is there a way to identify the female other than by the presence of berries? I grew a number from seed and want to ...

Pflugerville, TX
Allelopathc qualities in sunflowers
I have a sunflower patch in the corner of my backyard (Maximilians, common sunflower, and silverleaf sunflower)and would like to use the spent stalks (sans the seedheads) as mulch in the fall. Howeve...

pflugerville, TX
Ornamental plants for under live oaks
What ornamental plant will do well under Live Oak trees?