A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Pflugerville, TX
Virginia creeper in trees
Can Virginia creeper be allowed to climb on trees--specifically Texas ash and live oak--or will it damage them if allowed to attach itself? We are thinking of using it as erosion control in a greenbe...

Pflugerville, TX
Controlling weeds in Buffalograss in Pflugerville, TX
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, After a visit to the wildflower center a few years ago, my husband and I decided to do buffalo grass from sod in our new house. We love the way it looks, but I've been neglec...

Pflugerville, TX
Overwintering possumhaw seedlings indoors in Pflugerville, TX.
Can possumhaw (Ilex decidua) seedlings be kept indoors over the winter? The goal is to protect them from deer and there is no other good option (i.e., no protected outdoor porch, etc.), unless you ca...

Pflugerville, TX
Pruning time for Lonicera sempervirens from Pflugerville TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, When does the Wildflower Center prune its Lonicera sempervirens?

Pflugerville, TX
Information about FanTex ash.
I live in central Texas and recenty planted Fan-tex ash trees thinking that they were similar to the native Texas ash. I am beginning to beleive that this tree has more in common with the Arizona ash...

Pflugerville, TX
Shumard Oak failing to leaf out in Pflugerville TX
I planted a five gallon container grown Shumard Red Oak late last October and so far this spring there is no sign of any leaves on the tree. The branches are not brittle so I don't think that the tre...

Pflugerville, TX
Low growing, flowering evergreen plants for Pflugerville TX
I am wondering if you can suggest some low growing, flowering evergreen plants for my garden.

Pflugerville, TX
Poppies on Pflugerville, TX lake
I live on the new Pflugerville Lake. We are trying to get wildflower seed to plant around the lake in the mitigation areas. Will Poppies grow here?

Pflugerville, TX
Collecting seeds of Anemone berlandieri, windflower
The recent rainy weather has produced a small colony of what I have identified from your web site as Anemone berlandieri Pritzel (Texas Anemone) in my backyard. Is there a way to harvest these seeds f...

Pflugerville, TX
Flashing barrier to Bermuda in tree bed
I'm building a 6-ft-diameter planting bed on a gentle slope on blackland clay, at the center of which I plan to install a cedar elm. I'm using the wedge-shaped stones from the home-improvement stor...

Pflugerville, TX
Problems with Eves necklacepods (Styphnolobium affine)
Mr. S-P, I urgently need your advice regarding two Eve's necklacepods that appear to be dying. They are in two completely different areas of my yard. One began leafing out and then the leaves sh...

Pflugerville, TX
Grass at Wildflower Center with purple glow
What is the clumping grass along the WFC meadow trail that has a seedhead resembling bermudagrass and a glow similar to purple three-awn when backlit by the sun. I saw it yesterday (Oct. 2) and wonde...

Pflugerville, TX
Trimming of native muhly grasses
Do pine muhly, gulf muhly, and bull muhly need an "annual haircut"? I started wondering after reading that Lindheimer's muhly does not have to be cut back each year. I cut back all my non-muhly n...

Pflugerville, TX
Shaping of native hawthorns
I have three young hawthorns that were propagated from a nearby Blackland prairie stand. If I limb them up, will that encourage them to branch more near the top, or will it just ruin the form altoget...

Pflugerville, TX
Life expectancy for Carolina buckthorn (Frangula caroliniana)
Someone recently told me that Carolina buckthorn only lives 4-5 years and I'm wondering if that is true. I had a nice one (on Blackland) that died suddenly in its fourth or fifth year, during the dr...

pflugerville, TX
Identification of old plant called pinks
For years my mother had a pretty pink flower in her yard. It was in a little cluster of green leaf like bush. She just called them pinks. They would close in the sun and open in the morning or afte...

Pflugerville, TX
Native plants for Pflugerville, TX in blackland soil
Mr. S-P, I'm perusing the plant sale list for a couple of tall shrubs to plant on the sunny southwest side of my house, in Blackland soil. It is generally dry there because of the sun, but can ge...

Pflugerville, TX
Combining yellow columbine and Malvaviscus arboreus
Can yellow columbine coexist peacefully with Malvaviscus arboreus? I have a nice stand of the former and would like to plant the latter to take over when the columbine starts to look ratty in the hea...

Pflugerville, TX
Various holly hybrids or selections for Pflugerville TX
I love Savannah Hollies. I used them all the time in the Dallas area. Now that I have moved to Austin, I am wondering if I can plant them in this area. I have a soil pH of 7 and drainage is moderate. ...

Pflugerville, TX
Inland sea oats as backfrop for pigeon berry
I am thinking of using inland sea oats as a backdrop for pigeon berry (Rivina humilis) in a shady area along my foundation. Will this combination work, or will the sea oats outcompete the pigeon berr...

Pflugerville, TX
Wildlife uses of wildflowers in Central Texas
How are wildflowers in Central Texas used by wildlife?