Wednesday - August 03, 2011

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Transplants, Shrubs
Title: Lantana isn't blooming in Leander, TX.

QUESTION:

I bought a small potted New Gold Lantana about 2-1/2 weeks ago. I planted it in full sun and covered it with mulch. The few original flowers have fallen off. Although, I see a couple of new buds, it has not blossomed again. Does it take a long time to bloom? I have a "green" plant with no yellow flowers.

ANSWER:

New Gold Lantana is a hybrid of Lantana camara that was developed at Texas A&M. It is very heat and drought tolerant, and doesn’t produce fruit which makes it less invasive.

Planting your plant in July is certainly a test of its heat tolerance, and perhaps explains why the blooms fell off. This article about transplant shock can help you deal the problem. As the plant becomes established and adapts to its new environment, the blooms should return. This link says that the plant flowers from February to December.

Here are three links that will tell you a lot more about New Gold Lantana.

University of Arkansas

Mountain States Wholesale Nursery

Texas Superstar