A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Leander, TX
Endemic plants for the Edwards Plateau
Thanks so much for the info. it will be very helpful with the boys and we really stress "Leave No Trace Behind". The pictures will be enough. Thanks again!!

Leander, TX
Identity of a yellow-flowered wildflower with prickly burs
Hi there. We have seen a wildflower, probably invasive, that is at least in Travis, Williamson, and Hays counties. We have tried to identify it without success, The structure of the plant is remark...

Leander, TX
Ground cover under live oaks
I have some areas under Live Oak trees (maybe 200 sq. ft.)that remain bare, in spite of trying Habiturf. Soil is dry, poor and shallow. Can you suggest a living ground cover that would not require m...

Leander, TX
Plants found only in the Edwards Plateau of Texas area
I am new to Austin, Texas and I am working with a group of 4th grade Cub Scouts on their Naturalist and Forester pins and we need to know about and have pictures of at least 6 trees and plants only fo...

Leander, TX
Central Texas plant to grow in cavity in cedar (Juniperus ashei)
Is there a CenTX native that would be happy in a one-gallon cavity in a Cedar tree? I'd like to disguise an amputated limb. I'd consider a Bromeliad or Staghorn fern, but would prefer a native.

Leander, TX
Will the new bluebonnet plants survive the winter?
I live in Leander, and we've had 19 1/2 inches of rain in the past three weeks. ALL of our bluebonnets are coming up! Can they survive the winter?

Leander, TX
Identity of plant called 'Bell-flowered Yucca' associated with Lynn Lowrey
Please help identify a plant, the seeds of which are labeled "Bell Flowered Yucca" and " H. lowyrii" (or, presumably, some variant of Lynn Lowrey's name). I believe that this seed was collected ...

Leander, TX
Plants to repel mosquitoes from Leander TX
What are the best plant for repelling mosquitoes in the Leander area? The land here is hilly and rocky.

Leander, TX
Marbleseed (Onosmodium sp.) propagation and use as groundcover for
I am interested in any information, esp. propagation & suitability as a landscape plant, (possible ground cover?) for marble seed. I have found it growing in deep shade on stream banks. It has a 4--...

Leander, TX
Native replacement for non-native Bermudagrass in Leander TX
We have Bermuda grass. Large patches have died due to the drought and our yard has been taken over by weeds and St. Augustine grass whose seeds must have blown in. Even when the grass was in great con...

Leander, TX
Planting wildflower seeds in Texas in February
I would like to plant some wildflowers this month - February. I have planted some bluebonnets and they will "bloom" in March/April. Would there be any wildflowers that would also bloom in Marc...

Leander, TX
Breaking dormancy of native seeds
The science of seed preservation seems to be well advanced. However, Jill Nokes' book appears to be the only well-known information about breaking dormancy of native seeds. I'm grateful that she w...

Leander, TX
Bluebonnet blooming in July in Leander TX
I have a bluebonnet growing in my front yard in July! Early this year, my son planted the bluebonnet seeds. We did not expect them to grow since we planted them in February/March. One plant grew ...

Leander, TX
Flowers that attract Queen butterflies
Walking into the cloud of Queen butterflies around my Gregg's Mistflowers is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, so I started wondering how I could prolong this "visitation". Can you...

Leander, TX
Sorting for Fabaceae family for Central Texas
I can't seem to get the database to sort for: CenTX Fabacae Dry Part shade Perennials All habits Please tell me how

Leander, TX
Specimen evergreen for sun in Central Texas
I'm soliciting suggestions for a specimen plant for a new garden we're building. It will be planted in a 3' square raised (18") Limestone bed. It will be full sun, Western exposure, and relative...

Leander, TX
Yellow-blossomed Shrub that Occurs in Arizona and Texas
What is the name of the large shrubs you will see in Arizona with the bright yellow blossoms. They grow wild everywhere, and I also see them in the town. Could you please tell me the name of them, s...

Leander, TX
Lantana isn't blooming in Leander, TX.
I bought a small potted New Gold Lantana about 2-1/2 weeks ago. I planted it in full sun and covered it with mulch. The few original flowers have fallen off. Although, I see a couple of new buds, ...

Leander, TX
Can users sort plant lists in the Plant Database?
Although your database searches are very useful, I would like to take it further, for example by sorting the "Central Texas Recommended" list on various columns, as you might do in a spreadsheet. D...

Leander, TX
Problems with Mountain Laurel in Leander TX
My 13 yr old Mountain Laurel tree is sick. It has lost most of its leaves after blooming this spring. The twigs seem to still be pliable so I assume alive. I saw no moth worms or bags this year, ju...

Leander, TX
Non-native genista racemosa from Leander TX
Hello, Mr. Smarty Plants. I fear I've made a horrible purchase at a local plant place. Bought a "broom" plant--it's not listed in your database. Latin name: genista racemosa, according to tag. ...