Leander, TX
Problems with Mountain Laurel in Leander TX
My 13 yr old Mountain Laurel tree is sick. It has lost most of its leaves after blooming this spring. The twigs seem to still be pliable so I assume alive. I saw no moth worms or bags this year, ju...

Leander, TX
Control of borers attacking Prunus serotina
Where can I find information to control borers that seem to attack only Prunus serotina v. exemia?

Leander, TX
Determining gender of Texas Hill Country native trees
How can I identify which (Tx Hill Country) native trees are separate male & female? Specifically Tx Pistache and American Smoke Tree. Do I have to wait until they flower and inspect the flower for c...

Leander, TX
Fronds turning brown on yucca in Leander, TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I live Northwest of Austin in Leander and have grown a spanish dagger yucca for several years. It is 8 feet tall and each spring it puts up a showy spike of blooms. The old fr...

Leander, TX
Winter trimming and shaping of native perennials
Granted, it's a bit early, but for planning purposes: What is the best care for shrub-like woody perennials, like Lantana, Copper Canyon Daisy, Salvia greggii, Chile Pequin, Eupatorium wrightii, Pav...

Leander, TX
Rhizobium inoculant for Leucaena and othr leguminous tree seedlings
What sort of Rhizobium inoculant would be appropriate for Leucaena and other leguminous tree seedlings?

Leander, TX
Breaking dormancy of native seeds
The science of seed preservation seems to be well advanced. However, Jill Nokes' book appears to be the only well-known information about breaking dormancy of native seeds. I'm grateful that she w...

Leander, TX
Sorting for Fabaceae family for Central Texas
I can't seem to get the database to sort for: CenTX Fabacae Dry Part shade Perennials All habits Please tell me how

Leander, TX
Bluebonnet blooming in July in Leander TX
I have a bluebonnet growing in my front yard in July! Early this year, my son planted the bluebonnet seeds. We did not expect them to grow since we planted them in February/March. One plant grew ...

Leander, TX
Planting wildflower seeds in Texas in February
I would like to plant some wildflowers this month - February. I have planted some bluebonnets and they will "bloom" in March/April. Would there be any wildflowers that would also bloom in Marc...

Leander, TX
Central Texas plant to grow in cavity in cedar (Juniperus ashei)
Is there a CenTX native that would be happy in a one-gallon cavity in a Cedar tree? I'd like to disguise an amputated limb. I'd consider a Bromeliad or Staghorn fern, but would prefer a native.

Leander, TX
Cutting back woody plants after freeze in Leander TX
I have several woody shrubs in a prominent location. Now that the leaves have frozen, how far back should I cut them? These are Flame Acanthus, Salvia ballotiflora, and Aloysia macrostachya, but I w...

Leander, TX
Will the new bluebonnet plants survive the winter?
I live in Leander, and we've had 19 1/2 inches of rain in the past three weeks. ALL of our bluebonnets are coming up! Can they survive the winter?

Leander, TX
Wildflower gardening in Leander , TX
I live in Leander, Texas. I bought a couple of seed mixes last fall, and had wonderful wildflowers growing all along our fences, all spring and into the first part of the summer before it got way too ...

Leander, TX
Native Texas Hill Country nitrogen-fixing plants
Please help me find a listing of native (TX Hill Country) nitrogen-fixing plants.

Leander, TX
Can users sort plant lists in the Plant Database?
Although your database searches are very useful, I would like to take it further, for example by sorting the "Central Texas Recommended" list on various columns, as you might do in a spreadsheet. D...

Leander, TX
Identification of stinging plant in Central Texas
I live on 15 acres on Nameless Road. When walking on property, occasionally my leg/ankle brushes against some plant that "stings" me. Like little needles in my skin. Doesn't last long, but becau...

Leander, TX
Native, full-sun, 4-in. evergreen grasses for Leander TX
Help! I need a native Texas evergreen sedge/grass/ground cover for full-sun/hot/dry area between sidewalk and street. The plants will need to be kept about 4" high, if growth is higher it must be mow...

Leander, TX
Yellow-blossomed Shrub that Occurs in Arizona and Texas
What is the name of the large shrubs you will see in Arizona with the bright yellow blossoms. They grow wild everywhere, and I also see them in the town. Could you please tell me the name of them, s...

Leander, TX
Problem with Eupatorium greggii
At the Garden's fall plant sale in 2006, I bought some Eupatorium greggii. It did very well last year. Recently, the entire plant looks like it is just wilting from the top down, as if it has some so...

Leander, TX
Desmodium spp. (beggar's lice) in Leander TX
Our home backs up to a greenbelt on Blockhouse Creek in Williamson County, Texas (FM 1431 and Parmer Lane). The combination of the flood and drought has left our beautiful greenbelt with an abundance...