A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Leander, TX
Central Texas flowers suitable for cutting from Leander TX
Please suggest Central TX native flowers that would be especially suitable for a "cutting garden" for interior arrangements.

Leander, TX
Whether Venus flytrap (dionaea muscipula) is endangered
I am a 4th grader at Whitestone Elementary School in Leander, Texas. I am in the Quest program and I am doing a project on the venus flytrap and would like to ask you some questions. 1. Is there an ...

Leander, TX
Winter trimming and shaping of native perennials
Granted, it's a bit early, but for planning purposes: What is the best care for shrub-like woody perennials, like Lantana, Copper Canyon Daisy, Salvia greggii, Chile Pequin, Eupatorium wrightii, Pav...

Leander, TX
Breaking dormancy of native seeds
The science of seed preservation seems to be well advanced. However, Jill Nokes' book appears to be the only well-known information about breaking dormancy of native seeds. I'm grateful that she w...

Leander, TX
List of native perennial Texas flowers
Good day, I am searching for a list of native Texas flowers (preferably perennials) for a flower garden. Thank you.

Leander, TX
Determining ripeness of seeds of Crotonn texensis
How can I tell when the seeds of Croton texensis are "ripe"?

Leander, TX
Container plant in difficult sun exposure from Leander TX
HELP!!!! I have a large Mexican terracotta pot on my front porch. This awkward area is facing westward, so receives the full dose of Texas sun after about 3 pm onward. Now here's the catch; my fr...

Leander, TX
Native replacement for non-native Bermudagrass in Leander TX
We have Bermuda grass. Large patches have died due to the drought and our yard has been taken over by weeds and St. Augustine grass whose seeds must have blown in. Even when the grass was in great con...

Leander, TX
Leguminous deer-resistant groundcover
Please help me identify a deer-resistant leguminous ground cover native to Central Texas to serve as a guard plant in edible-plant groupings.

Leander, TX
Dividing Gulf muhly in Leander TX
I purchased a 1-gallon pot of Gulf Muhly (muhlenbergia capillaris) and am wondering if I can divide the clump in order to make my purchase go further. And, regarding that method of propagation, could...

Leander, TX
When to seed a native grass lawn in a drought area?
I want to plant a native grass lawn. It is raining now. Can I plant it in December? It might not be raining in the spring if the drought continues.

Leander, TX
Flowers that attract Queen butterflies
Walking into the cloud of Queen butterflies around my Gregg's Mistflowers is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, so I started wondering how I could prolong this "visitation". Can you...

Leander, TX
Cutting back woody plants after freeze in Leander TX
I have several woody shrubs in a prominent location. Now that the leaves have frozen, how far back should I cut them? These are Flame Acanthus, Salvia ballotiflora, and Aloysia macrostachya, but I w...

Leander, TX
Ground cover under live oaks
I have some areas under Live Oak trees (maybe 200 sq. ft.)that remain bare, in spite of trying Habiturf. Soil is dry, poor and shallow. Can you suggest a living ground cover that would not require m...

Leander, TX
Desmodium spp. (beggar's lice) in Leander TX
Our home backs up to a greenbelt on Blockhouse Creek in Williamson County, Texas (FM 1431 and Parmer Lane). The combination of the flood and drought has left our beautiful greenbelt with an abundance...

Leander, TX
Identification of stinging plant in Central Texas
I live on 15 acres on Nameless Road. When walking on property, occasionally my leg/ankle brushes against some plant that "stings" me. Like little needles in my skin. Doesn't last long, but becau...

Leander, TX
Native, full-sun, 4-in. evergreen grasses for Leander TX
Help! I need a native Texas evergreen sedge/grass/ground cover for full-sun/hot/dry area between sidewalk and street. The plants will need to be kept about 4" high, if growth is higher it must be mow...

Leander, TX
Will the new bluebonnet plants survive the winter?
I live in Leander, and we've had 19 1/2 inches of rain in the past three weeks. ALL of our bluebonnets are coming up! Can they survive the winter?

Leander, TX
Rhizobium inoculant for Leucaena and othr leguminous tree seedlings
What sort of Rhizobium inoculant would be appropriate for Leucaena and other leguminous tree seedlings?

Leander, TX
Marbleseed (Onosmodium sp.) propagation and use as groundcover for
I am interested in any information, esp. propagation & suitability as a landscape plant, (possible ground cover?) for marble seed. I have found it growing in deep shade on stream banks. It has a 4--...

Leander, TX
Specimen evergreen for sun in Central Texas
I'm soliciting suggestions for a specimen plant for a new garden we're building. It will be planted in a 3' square raised (18") Limestone bed. It will be full sun, Western exposure, and relative...