A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Leander, TX
Soapberry Transplant shock symptoms
Please suggest a cause & cure for general yellowing of the leaves of Western Soapberry when planted in the ground 20 miles NW of Austin (thin, poor clay over limestone). Trees still in containers are...

Leander, TX
Specimen evergreen for sun in Central Texas
I'm soliciting suggestions for a specimen plant for a new garden we're building. It will be planted in a 3' square raised (18") Limestone bed. It will be full sun, Western exposure, and relative...

Leander, TX
Determining gender of Texas Hill Country native trees
How can I identify which (Tx Hill Country) native trees are separate male & female? Specifically Tx Pistache and American Smoke Tree. Do I have to wait until they flower and inspect the flower for c...

Leander, TX
Bluebonnet blooming in July in Leander TX
I have a bluebonnet growing in my front yard in July! Early this year, my son planted the bluebonnet seeds. We did not expect them to grow since we planted them in February/March. One plant grew ...

Leander, TX
Wildflower gardening in Leander , TX
I live in Leander, Texas. I bought a couple of seed mixes last fall, and had wonderful wildflowers growing all along our fences, all spring and into the first part of the summer before it got way too ...

Leander, TX
Fronds turning brown on yucca in Leander, TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I live Northwest of Austin in Leander and have grown a spanish dagger yucca for several years. It is 8 feet tall and each spring it puts up a showy spike of blooms. The old fr...

Leander, TX
When to seed a native grass lawn in a drought area?
I want to plant a native grass lawn. It is raining now. Can I plant it in December? It might not be raining in the spring if the drought continues.

Leander, TX
Grass identification books for Texas
We live northwest of Austin, on Nameless Road. Have MANY types of native grasses--can you recommend a good book, with photos, to use in identifying? Also, what native grasses are good for attracting...

Leander, TX
Determining ripeness of seeds of Crotonn texensis
How can I tell when the seeds of Croton texensis are "ripe"?

Leander, TX
Marbleseed (Onosmodium sp.) propagation and use as groundcover for
I am interested in any information, esp. propagation & suitability as a landscape plant, (possible ground cover?) for marble seed. I have found it growing in deep shade on stream banks. It has a 4--...

Leander, TX
Sorting for Fabaceae family for Central Texas
I can't seem to get the database to sort for: CenTX Fabacae Dry Part shade Perennials All habits Please tell me how

Leander, TX
Endemic plants for the Edwards Plateau
Thanks so much for the info. it will be very helpful with the boys and we really stress "Leave No Trace Behind". The pictures will be enough. Thanks again!!

Leander, TX
Problems with Mountain Laurel in Leander TX
My 13 yr old Mountain Laurel tree is sick. It has lost most of its leaves after blooming this spring. The twigs seem to still be pliable so I assume alive. I saw no moth worms or bags this year, ju...

Leander, TX
Winter trimming and shaping of native perennials
Granted, it's a bit early, but for planning purposes: What is the best care for shrub-like woody perennials, like Lantana, Copper Canyon Daisy, Salvia greggii, Chile Pequin, Eupatorium wrightii, Pav...

Leander, TX
Dividing Gulf muhly in Leander TX
I purchased a 1-gallon pot of Gulf Muhly (muhlenbergia capillaris) and am wondering if I can divide the clump in order to make my purchase go further. And, regarding that method of propagation, could...

Leander, TX
Leguminous deer-resistant groundcover
Please help me identify a deer-resistant leguminous ground cover native to Central Texas to serve as a guard plant in edible-plant groupings.

Leander, TX
Problem with Arizona Ash in Leander TX
What would make my otherwise healthy Arizona Ash tree, that was doing so well last year, only bud out on just one side?

Leander, TX
Flowers that attract Queen butterflies
Walking into the cloud of Queen butterflies around my Gregg's Mistflowers is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, so I started wondering how I could prolong this "visitation". Can you...

Leander, TX
Plants found only in the Edwards Plateau of Texas area
I am new to Austin, Texas and I am working with a group of 4th grade Cub Scouts on their Naturalist and Forester pins and we need to know about and have pictures of at least 6 trees and plants only fo...

Leander, TX
Control of borers attacking Prunus serotina
Where can I find information to control borers that seem to attack only Prunus serotina v. exemia?

Leander, TX
What is the application rate for dried molasses in Leander, TX??
I bought dry molasses to add to my soil but the bag doesn't say anything about how much to add. Should I just sprinkle it around and it doesn't matter if it is more or less? I have 2.25 acres so I...