En EspaÑol

Monday - May 20, 2013

Topic: Invasive Plants, Pruning, Shrubs, Trees
Title: How to deal with suckers on Flame-leaf Sumac

Hi! It seems you can have too much of a good thing! Our flameleaf sumac is taking over our yard. There are multiple shoots appearing in our flower beds and in the lawn. How do I get rid of the unwanted growth in a safe and environmentally responsible way? The underground root appears to be quite hardy.

The Flame-leaf Sumac Rhus lanceolata (Prairie flameleaf sumac) is described as thicket-forming, small deciduous tree. The reason it forms thickets is because it produces numerous suckers. You are in for a elongated campaign if you are going to rid your yard of this pretty nuisance. I’m going to provide you with several links that will help you understand more about your adversary.

biology and eradication with herbicide

a forum from gardenweb.com

a description of root barriers

And finally, someone who enjoys Sumac; 

in praise of sumac 

Prairie flameleaf sumac
Rhus lanceolata

Prairie flameleaf sumac
Rhus lanceolata