Friday - July 29, 2011

From: Fort Davis, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives
Title: Non-native Silver lace vine invasive from Ft. Davis TX

Is silver lace vine invasive?

Fallopia baldschuanica, Silver Lace Vine, originated in Western China and Tibet, so it is not in our Native Plant Database. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center only recommends plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they grow natively. Here is an article on the vine, which does, indeed, include a warning about its invasiveness. Another common name for it is Russian Vine. We found an article referring to that name; although this article came from the U.K., we couldn't resist the title A Swine of a Vine.

Since you live in Jeff Davis County, which is in the Chihuahuan Desert, you might be safe planting it, since we saw another reference that said if planted in the desert, deep irrigation must be provided to keep it alive. But we don't recommend invasive plants, native or not.