A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fort Davis, TX
White powder on non-native houseplants from Fort Davis TX
I have a white powder on my houseplants that I can't figure out what it is or what to do about it? (Dracaena & Corn plants) Could be a fungus can you help? (can send a photo if you will tell me how t...

Fort Davis, TX
Non-native Silver lace vine invasive from Ft. Davis TX
Is silver lace vine invasive?

Fort Davis, TX
Woolly butterfly bush only one native to Texas from Ft. Davis TX
I see many kinds of Butterfly Bush at nurseries. Is the woolly butterfly bush the only Texas native?

Alpine, TX
Black growth on sotol plants
My mature sotol plants have a black-like growth on the leaves. Is there any thing I can do to treat what looks like a disease on these plants?

Alpine, TX
Using salt to kill bermuda grass
(Submitting to site per your request on Facebook, plus an added bit o'info) I am considering trying to kill off the bermuda grass around my raised bed with salt. Vinegar isn't cutting it.. S'pos...

Terlingua, TX
Identification of pale blue flower near Big Bend, TX
I have looked almost everywhere in order to ID this bloom with no luck. Some blooms do arrive close but not quite. I live just outside of Big Bend National Park in Terlingua, TX. On a hike into Dog Ca...

Terlingua, TX
Identity of an Astragalus species near Terlingua, TX
I have been photographing as many of the wildflowers that I can this Spring 2013 season here in the Big Bend Area between BBNP, Terlingua and Alpine, TX. Two days ago I took a drive from Terlingua to ...

Monahans, TX
Existing live oak taking over in Monahans TX
I have just purchased a home with a huge Live Oak tree in the front yard. The previous owners have over the years allowed the sucker roots to grow unchecked. The tree is shading most of the lawn (di...

McCamey, TX
Fasciation on Texas Mountain Laurel
Do Texas Mountain Laurel normally have a staghorn looking growth hanging on them after blooming in addition to the seed pod clusters or could this be a mutation?

Odessa, TX
Identification of shrub looking like honeysuckle in Odessa TX
Bought a shrub in Pecos, TX yesterday. It looks like honeysuckle but the brightest flat orange I have ever seen. Flower and greenery looked like honeysuckle but when I looked on the Internet under or...

Odessa, TX
Wildflowers for West Texas Permian Basin area
What wild flowers grow out here in West Texas (Permian Basin Area)? I know a lot of the wild flowers from other parts of the state will not grow out here in the dry heat and poor soil. Thanks for you...

Odessa, TX
Esperanza failing to bloom in Odessa TX
I have 3 Esperanza plants that have not bloomed this spring/summer. I live in Odessa, TX. We had about 5 inches of rain in July in one week (very unusual), but they have not bloomed-before or after. ...

Odessa, TX
Space for a desert willow in Odessa, TX
I have a small planting space about 5X5 that is four feet in front of the side of my front door. It is right under the eaves of my house. It's rather an enclosed porch space. I have a new very sma...

Odessa, TX
Information about the bluebonnet
What other plants live near a bluebonnet? What problems does the plant face, such as people, weather, and insects?

Odess,, TX
Native turf and trees for Odessa TX
What native turf and trees can I grow in my Odessa, Tx back yard?

Carlsbad, NM
Source for purchase of Texas Madrone
Where can we buy a Texas Madrone, the Peeling Tree, or Naked Indian tree?

Midland, TX
Removal of yaupon stumps in Midland TX
How is the best way to remove Yaupon tree stumps? We have 4 of them.

Midland, TX
Is non-native palm tree poisonous from Midland TX
Are palm trees poisonous? My husband is a landscaper and was trimming palm trees at work and when he was cutting them down it fell on him and he has scratches on his arm and one got caught on his arm...

Midland, TX
Will ceanothus grow in West Texas from Midland TX
re: Ceanothus - you have two ceanothus in your data base. Will any of those grow in West Texas? (southern exposure, full sun)? Will any of the California native ceanothus grow in West Texas?

Midland, TX
When can bluebonnet seeds in freezer be planted in Midland TX
I have a large pkg of bluebonnets in my freezer that I had planned to plant in October and forgot. Is January too late for Bluebonnets to come up in March-April? A year ago in Spring my brother and I...

Midland, TX
Control methods for Tribulus terrestris, Goatheads or Puncturevine
We have some land that has so many goatheads we can't do anything with it. We would like to know what if anything will remove them from our place. There has to be something out there that will kill ...