Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of Sagittaria-like plant with purple flowers

Thursday - July 21, 2011

From: Lincoln, NE
Title: Identification of Sagittaria-like plant with purple flowers

QUESTION:

I have collected a wetland plant that I can't seem to identify. Its an emergent plant collected along with a species of sagittaria. Very similar in leaf structure to an sagittaria or alisima, but it has purplish/blue flowers. Any Ideas?

ANSWER:

I think your plant is probably Pontederia cordata (Pickerelweed).  Here are more photos and information from the Virginia Tech Weed Identification Guide and Illinois Wildflowers.

Pickerelweed
Pontederia cordata

Pickerelweed
Pontederia cordata

Pickerelweed
Pontederia cordata

Pickerelweed
Pontederia cordata