Tuesday - October 02, 2007

From: Hico, TX
Title: plant identification, Portulaca pilosa, Kiss-me-quick

QUESTION:

There is a small plant with clusters of red-purple flowers and tubular succulent leaves on branching stems I found in the flower boxes at the top of the look-out tower there at the center. I forgot to ask what they were until I found the same thing volunteering itself in a friend's garden. Could I have the botanical name for this plant and is it native?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants knows exactly what plant you are talking about—it is Portulaca pilosa (kiss me quick).  It is native.

Portulaca pilosa

Portulaca pilosa

Portulaca pilosa