Mr. Smarty Plants - Mealy bugs on plants in Washington, DC

Thursday - July 07, 2011

From: Washington,, DC
Topic: Pests
Title: Mealy bugs on plants in Washington, DC

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, There is this white stuff, looking like snow flakes, that is attacking my office plants. I use gasduster to blow it off of them, but that does not stop it from reappearing. What is it and how can I protect my plants against it? I feel so sorry for my plant. Please advise. Thank you,

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that your plants may have been invaded by mealy bugs. Go to this link and scroll down to the mealy bug pictures to see if these are the villains. This link from Iowa State University will tell you more about mealy bugs, and this link from guide -to-houseplants.com has tips for getting rid of them.

Using the gasduster is probably enhancing the spread of the mealy bugs to other plants in your office.