En Espa—ol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Something eating cannas in Austin

Saturday - July 14, 2012

Topic: Non-Natives, Pests, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Something eating cannas in Austin

QUESTION:

What is eating my cannas?

ANSWER:

Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer concerning cannas. Since they are non-native to North America and we have no personal experience with them, we have listed some websites that deal with canna pests. You will note that the last one lists slugs and snails as possible culprints. Last year, when we could not water much and the rain did not come, we didn't usually consider slugs and snails as a possible threat in Central Texas. However, this year it is different, and we have responded to several questions with instructions for looking for these somewhat disgusting animals.

Previous Mr. Smarty Plants question on snails and slugs

Canna News Canna Virus Disese

Gulf Breeze News Leafroller insect a major pest of canna lily

eHow Canna Lily Pests

do-it-yourself Protecting Canna Lily from Insects