Sunday - June 19, 2011

From: League City, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I am trying to identify a flowering plant I saw today in Houston. Its leaves are green and it produces beautiful flowers with 4 petals that kind of remind me of a pinwheel. The petals are about 2 inches long and are yellow in the center and then change to more of a white color at the tips. I have photos but don't see a place to upload them. Also, it was a potted plant and was probably at least 6 feet tall. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

ANSWER:

The description of your plant and the fact that it is a potted plant leads me to believe it isn't a North American native.  Since our focus and expertise at the Wildflower Center is with plants native to North America, we aren't really the people you should be asking to identify a non-native plant.   However, if you visit our Plant Identification page, you will find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants, native or non-native, for identification.