Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

From: Greenfield, MA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a plant growing in my yard that I would like to know what it is. It has two very different leaf types on the same plant. One set of leaves is thick and oval in shape, the others look very much like ivy leaves.The plant right now is about 6-8 inches tall and the two oval leaves are at the base of the stem and the ivy-like leaves are at the top where you would almost expect to see a flower. There is no blossom as of yet, but it is still early spring here in New England. Any ideas?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but it is very difficult if not impossible from a description alone. Please send us a photo and we will do our very best to ID your plant. For instructions on how to do this, please the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page and read the instructions under "Plant Identification" in the lower right corner.