Monday - September 21, 2009

From: Abilene, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

NEAR ABILENE STATE PARK GREEN RODS SHOOT UP PURPLE BLOOM MID TO LATE SEPTEMBER LONG AND SLENDER WITH GREEN SPIKES ALMOST LIKE A PINE OR EVERGREEN COMES EVERY YEAR NO MATTER HOW MUCH RAIN WHAT IS IT?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks this sounds like one of the Liatris sp., most likely either Liatris mucronata (cusp blazing star) or Liatris punctata (dotted blazing star).  If neither of these is the flower you have seen, please follow the instructions on Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to send us photos and we will do our best to identify your flower.

Liatris mucronata

Liatris mucronata

Liatris punctata

Liatris punctata