From: Buffalo, TX
Title: Culture and location of native Stachys coccinea
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

What are the soil, light, and water requirements for Texas betony (Stachys coccinea) and in what area(s) of Texas does it naturally occur?

ANSWER:

The soil, light, and water requirements for Texas betony are summarized on our Native Plant Information Network growing conditions page for the species. In Texas, it occurs wild only in the Trans-Pecos mountains of West Texas. It is native to rich, moist soil and canyons in the Chihuahuan and Sonoran Desert regions of western Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and adjacent Mexico. Native plant writers Sally and Andy Wasowski, in their book Native Landscaping from El Paso to L.A., emphasize its need for moisture and write that it prefers "moist, decomposed granite, loam, limestone, high organic content, well drained" soil and light that ranges from shade to sun.