Monday - June 25, 2012

From: Houston, TX
Region: Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Wildflowers
Title: Bluebonnets for Shanghai

I am a Texas native that now lives in Shanghai, and I am trying to grow a little piece of home (Texas bluebonnets) indoors, and I was wondering: a. Do you have any ideal soil recipes that bluebonnets would really love? i.e. 33% sand 33% compost 33% perlite? b. Do you have any insights or experience growing seedlings? I have a wine refrigerator that I can use to simulate Texas winters (~10 degrees C) but is there any other equipment or advice that will increase my chances of success? c. Is it possible to grow bluebonnets hydroponically? Thanks a bunch!

a. No. b. No. c. No.

Bluebonnets are always the No. 1 question subject on the Mr. Smarty Plants Hit Parade. We looked at 10 previous questions going back to 2004 on the possibilities of planting Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) in foreign climes, including England, Afghanistan and Germany. You are to be congratulated, however. Yours is the first from Shanghai. Rather than repeat ourselves ad nauseum or link you to all those questions (all of which had the same answer-no), here is the previous Mr. Smarty Plants question on planting bluebonnets in Germany.

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis