Monday - June 06, 2005

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Wildflower seed for west central Texas acreage

We have a ranch in central Texas between Brownwood and Brady and want to plant wildflowers that will grow in that area. We'd like to cover acreage and need information on what mix would suit our area and how much seed is needed to cover and also when to plant. I am a member of the Wildflower Center and would appreciate your help. Thank you,

There are several articles in the Native Plant Library that you will find useful; for instance, "Wildflower Meadow Gardening" and "Large Scale Wildflower Planting". These articles will give you information about when to plant (generally, in the Fall), how to prepare your site for sowing seeds, and how to sow the seeds.

Here are a few recommended species:
1) Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella)
2) Texas bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis)
3) Purple Horsemint (Monarda citriodora)
4) Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)
5) Engelmann's Daisy (Engelmannia peristenia)
6) Winecup (Callirhoe involucrata)
7) Gayfeather (Liatris mucronata)
8) Indian Paintbrush Castilleja indivisa

There are two excellent native seed companies in Texas. They are North American Seed in Junction and Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg. Each of these companies has an online catalog and you can also order online.