Mr. Smarty Plants - Need suggestions for replacing invasive privet in the Dallas area.

Wednesday - April 20, 2011

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Need suggestions for replacing invasive privet in the Dallas area.

QUESTION:

We are removing invasive privet at a project. We will need to substitute native plants and would like to know how to find out which plants should be used. We are in the Dallas area. Thank you.

ANSWER:

When Mr. Smarty Plants hears Privet,  he thinks of Ligustrum, and assumes that your are dealing with one of the several species that is commonly planted in landscapes and later escapes into the environment.  A quick way to learn about replacement plants is to go to the Texasinvasives.org web site and click on INVASIVES DATABASE . In the Invasive Plants box, you can search the database by Scientific Name and find five species of Ligustrum listed. Using Ligustrun japonicum as an example, clicking on the name will  pull up a page that describes the plant. Scrolling down the page you will  find a section labeled:
Resembles/Alternatives

The plants listed are good alternatives to replace Ligustrum, and each of the names is linked to our Native Plant Database. Clicking on each name will bring up its NPIN page which contains characteristics of the plant, habitat information, growth requirements, and photos. This can allow you to determine which plants are suitable for your site in the Dallas area.